We have come through another year of change – and thanks to our trustees, management board, staff, volunteers and supporters we have been able to adapt and respond to the changing needs of our local community.
Highlights of the year:
• More CAP debt clients have received support this year in various practical ways, with many becoming debt free. What an achievement!
• We have offered 1:1 mental health coaching sessions for those seeking to manage and reduce levels of anxiety and recover from the historic effects of unresolved trauma. This programme continues into 2022.
• Our Food Store Cupboard has been open to the public 9 – 11am every morning. Thanks to donations of food and household items from local stores, churches and individuals, our Store Cupboard has been open to the public 9 – 11am Monday to Friday during term time.
• Individuals and families with complex needs have been supported by the staff and volunteers.
• Christmas hampers, groceries, treats and craft bags have gone out to CAP and other clients over the Christmas period.
Your help this year has made such a difference – THANK YOU so very much for your support.
“The Bus Stop Club is a local charity located in the Turbary Resource Centre, at the edge of Ferndown. We are a befriending charity, seeking to support parents and families from the East Dorset area and beyond. Our small core staff team are very blessed to have a number of loyal volunteers who work alongside us.
Food: Since the first lockdown last year we have had to change some of our activities, but our Centre remains open every day Mon to Fri 9-11am for essential groceries – we also have donations of fresh food available on Tuesday mornings. We are very grateful for food donations from customers that we collect weekly from our local Sainsbury’s store. We are also part of the Fare Share (Tesco) and Neighbourly (Lidl) food donation schemes. Currently we are delivering groceries on Fridays to a number of individuals and families in need. We are currently delivering craft packs on Wednesdays to local families with younger school children, thanks to financial support from Cash 4 Kids.
We are supported financially by local trusts, foundations, community chest grants, churches and individuals – we are very thankful for all the support we have received, particularly during periods of lockdown since March 2020.
Our main project is the East Dorset CAP Debt Centre, also covering Ringwood and Bearwood. CAP stands for Christians Against Poverty, a national charity based in Bradford with hundreds of Centres all over the UK. Their services are free to those in unmanageable debt. Since starting our East Dorset CAP Centre we have seen 26 individuals go debt free. We currently have vacancies for new clients, so if you or someone you know needs support, just phone the CAP freephone number: 0800 328 0006. CAP Head Office will be glad to speak to you and explain how CAP can start you on your journey out of debt. There are also local CAP Centres in Poole and Bournemouth.
MOAT Coaching: Since September 2020 we have been offering individual coaching sessions to those who want to manage their anxiety better, and to learn some strategies for processing historical trauma. MOAT Coaching is available to adults at a cost of £20 registration fee. We currently have spaces, so if you are interested please drop me an email. Those who have completed the programme have all found it very helpful. Susan Sutherland, Project Manager.